Pages

July 1, 2012

Sandy Beach

A couple of weeks ago Maria took us to Sandy Beach. Yes, you heard right. I went to a beach. With sand. And it was sandy, hence its name. It's a real beach with lifegaurds and everything, which I'm not used to, coming from the Gulf Coast of Florida. Our waves aren't too big and you are generally on your own if you decide to swim.This is also one of the regularly used surfing beaches and we got to watch some surfers "catching waves," as they say. I was impressed. There were a number of people bodysurfing as well, though when surf's up this beach can have a pretty mean rip current.

The beach park has an expanse of beach that turns into a lava jut that I found as a nice place to watch waves breaking. I saw a lot of coral in the sand along with lava rocks and pieces of colored glass. We've been twice now. The lovely sunny pictures are from the day we went with Maria and the cloudy pics are from this past week when Joe and I decided that no weather conditions were going to prevent the Winskyes from enjoying the beach.

Sandy Beach on a beautiful, sunny day

This was a nice shady place where we set up camp


Joe attempted the water but found out how cold it is and immediately abandoned that plan


Of course when we went back it wasn't as nice out, so I explored the lava formation for a while.




I love how this picture captures the clouds rolling in








It was really windy on this trip so I ended up huddled on my stadium blanket (Go Bulls!) wrapped in an oversized t-shirt reading my book. And we were in the same shady spot, so not exactly warm. We ended up leaving after only an hour because I was too cold to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment