Pages

July 30, 2012

$5/day and Being Healthy

Yes, we are still eating on $5 a day. A lot of the time we eat on less than that. My new strategy has been to use the weekly grocery budget only to stock up on things that are on sale and to buy any essentials we are out of (milk, cheese, bread, eggs). This has led to more creative meals and a few good finds in the dining department. At the top of this site I have a Food! tab. Click on it to see all the recipe posts in one place. I have a few more to add over the next couple of weeks.

Another result of this experiment has been calorie counting, which I've been rather successful at. Before the internet cries out "you look great, you don't need to count your calories!" (which I've heard from everyone I've mentioned this to), let me explain something. I do not have image issues. I know I look fabulous (seriously, have you seen me in a bikini? No? Do you want to go to the beach? I'm dying to go to the beach). Ok, I'm glad we got that out of the way.

I know, it's only half a bikini and some shorts, but that's what I had on that day. I look hot.


I live in the United States. We eat CRAP in this country, and lots of it. When I count my calories I become keenly aware of what I am putting into my body and I eat better because of it. Eating better leads to feeling better, which leads to having the motivation and energy to exercise, which leads to feeling even better. It's a scary downward spiral of better health and good habits which ultimately make me more focused, less depressed and more motivated to keep up with my creative endeavors. It gets you hiking pictures, too!

Also, I have lots of clothing from when I lived in Florida. Clothing that is two sizes too small right now that I want to wear again. Ok? There, I said it. I wouldn't mind if I lost some weight. But only because I can't afford to buy new clothes.

Joe, as is typical, is exercising every day, and sticking to low-carb, healthier foods. Which means that's what I have to cook. His workout routine is a combination of pilates and the P90X workout, which I find to be insane. Check it out. I'm into pilates, hiking and Just Dance 3 for the Kinect. Check that out, too!

Anyway, the eating for less and cooking at home is going well, but I have no doubt it will all fall apart once the semester starts and I have the more than full time course load and the part time job. That is why a couple of weeks ago I borrowed Nicole's kitchen and cooked up 3 lbs of chicken and 4lbs of veggies and put it all in the freezer for consumption later in the year when life gets busy. I was so proud of myself. Everything is in individual portions and labeled with "use by" dates. I am feeling very homemakery right now. Anyone have other tips (that don't involve high-carb foods) on making food go further? Leave them in the comments.


3 comments:

  1. http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/

    Awesome site for cooking on the cheap.

    I like to plan meals 2 weeks in advance (since I shop twice a month). Some folks argue that it takes all the spontaneity out of things, but I find it 1.) less stressful with a busy life to always know that I have what I need to make a meal, and 2.) a lot cheaper to cut down on those impulse trips to the store.

    Also, do you have a crockpot? Become bffs with it. Take it from someone who feeds a family of six with three ankle-biters driving me crazy all day... being able to throw some crap into the crockpot and forget about it until 6pm (at which point it has magically transformed itself into delicious dinner) is A GIFT FROM THE GODS.

    And no, none of this need be unhealthy. I've been calorie counting since February with great success, and have managed to stay cheap and easy -food-wise, that is. lol- without setting for processed, salty, carb-y shit. It sounds like you are doing great already, so keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am in love with my crockpot. Any recipes that you want to share would be appreciated. I make a lot of soup, but Joe doesn't eat that. Chili is another favorite here that I can start and ignore. Send suggestions.

      Delete
    2. http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/chicken/chicken-and-cornmeal-dumplings/

      I am trying this one this week, so no review just yet... but it sounds absolutely delicious. We're not fans of dark meat, so I'll be trying it with breasts.


      http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/11/carne-guisada-latin-beef-stew.html#more

      Not a crockpot recipe as written, but I have had great success with lightly searing the beef and then throwing everything in on low for several hours. If you are lazy like me and buy stew meat pre-cut, however, wait for it to go on sale.


      http://www.food.com/recipe/hawaiian-crock-pot-chicken-467722

      Awesome with brown rice. Stupid easy, amazingly yummy.


      http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-recipe-classic-beef-stew-10000000614077/

      My go-to beef stew recipe. The 4lbs of beef called for in the recipe is a joke - I make it with 1.75ish, and that's for my big family. I tend to do more veggies and less meat/potatoes. It is so, so good.


      http://www.lovefromtexas.com/2011/08/crockpotpalooza-chicken-dumplings.html

      Fair warning: I haven't made this in months, because it is neither particularly healthy nor low on carbs/processed crap. Still... it is really delicious, easy, and awfully nice on one of those cold evenings that are so rare down here. I feel like it merited inclusion. :p

      I raided my Pinterest for these, but I know I'm missing some. I will hit you up if/when I think of more.

      Delete