Pages

July 20, 2012

Things Heard Around the Theatre

I started my new job as the House Manager for the Kennedy Theatre at UH a few weeks ago. I'd forgotten what it was like to be on the lobby side of a production and all the fun things you overhear in the crowd.

We have shows this week Thursday through Sunday, and they are all sold out. SOLD. OUT. Which means big crowds and long lines at the ladies' room. Why am I telling you this? So you will understand how sincerely I mean it when I say we need and appreciate our volunteer ushers (speaking of which, anyone want to usher to see a show for free?).

This evening one of our ushers, an elderly woman with a German accent, told me that I look like a picture from a cabaret in Berlin from the 30s. And she would know, because she was there. She absolutely made my evening. She said that when I came out of my office I startled her because she thought for a moment that she was looking at a picture and that my hair and the way I "shake" myself when I walk was right out of a Berlin cabaret. I must have thanked her six times and then she told me, "It's a compliment!" To which I replied, "yes! And you just made my whole day. Thank you so much!" Best compliment ever! (also, makes me think of Katie Delsandro and Careena Cornette, right?)

The next fun thing I heard was during intermission. The show we have in right now is called "Happily Eva Afta" and is a pidgin retelling of several fairy tales with lots of local style. At intermission I overheard a father explaining to his eight year old son when it is appropriate for him to use pidgin and say "happily eva afta" (when it doesn't matter, like when he's with his friends) and when he needs to say "happily ever after" (in more formal situations). Then the dad broke out in full pidgin to give his son this example:
"When you are with your friends you can be like, 'howzit, brah? I jus seen one show called Happily Eva Afta' but it depends on who you are talking to..."

His son responds by saying, "But it sounds so much cooler the other way!" Shoots!

Finally, during the second act while witting in the lobby, I caught sight of a couple in front of the East-West Center across the street from us waltzing under a street lamp.

And then....AND THEN....Kristina Tannenbaum called me from Indonesia! About two seconds after we mentioned her name (no exaggeration, either). So I got to talk to a dear friend to finish off the day. Thanks, T-baum, for thinking of me! It was nice to hear from you and we're all glad you are well. She sends hugs to all her nerd friends, by the way! 

If any other friends floating around the world in other countries want to call, your phone call will be blog-worthy, too!

It's been a delightful day.






1 comment:

  1. I love overhearing audience conversations too. I also really the image in my head of the couple waltzing under the streetlamp. Would make for a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete