Pages

September 23, 2012

Sonnets for an Old Century

Go see this show! I'm not usually this emphatic about shows. To be honest, I've not seen a lot in my time in Hawaii that has wowed me. Go see this one!

Sonnets for and Old Century is the UHM Late Night Theatre show currently playing. The script, by Jose Rivera, is one of the most beautiful and touching things I've ever read. Brought to life on stage by Brittni Shambaugh and her talented cast, it is one of the most poignant, funny, real, pieces of theatre I've seen.

I saw this show on opening night and I really couldn't have been more delighted. The cast was a diverse group, all students in the Theatre and Dance department, and all clearly passionate about what they were doing. Their chemistry was real, their stories were clear, their need to share was immediate. I don't want to give away too much; I want you to see this if you are on Oahu, but as an incentive, here are some highlights:

The vibrant Melissa Schmitz opens the show with a monologue about dancing with life on other planets which instantly had the audience engaged. Amanda Stone shared the story of a woman and her lover, seeking connection despite the mundane and the earth shaking distractions in life that seem to separate us. Tristan Holmes was a man unsure of which afterlife he was destined to, seeking identity in a world of mixed ethnicity and aided by some advice received from childhood "friends" in El Paso. Throughout the show all of the cast members are always present, supporting, encouraging, commenting, and breathing life into the stories. Everyone was a pleasure to watch, but I won't tell any more so you can see it for yourself.

I also have to mention the lighting design, by Chesley Cannon. Late Night does not get much to use in the way of technical elements, but Chesley has really worked magic with the lights. This is such a beautiful show to watch and the lighting ebbs and flows with the movement of the actors, highlighting, supporting,and enhancing each moment.

You have two chances left to see this show: Sept. 28, 29 at 11pm at the UHM Earnst Lab Theatre. The show is only 40 minutes, though you will wish it was longer. Please come support the amazing work of these performers and celebrate with Late Night Theatre as this show marks the 20th birthday of this student run theatre company.

No comments:

Post a Comment