Pages

June 8, 2012

Reality Check: A Man and a Duck Walk into Waikiki

This sounds like the beginning to a joke, but let me assure you, I am not kidding. I'm laying on the beach, and I just happen to sit up for some reason, maybe I was going to flip over, maybe I was reaching for my water bottle. Whatever the reason, it was instantly forgotten when I spotted the duck sitting on the edge of the trash can. The duck wearing the tiny lei. The duck wearing the tiny lei that a man then picked up and placed on his shoulder as he began to walk away. I did the only reasonable thing I could do: I reached over and tapped Ray, pointing silently to the scene before us, then grabbed my phone and attempted to snap a photo. I then asked Ray if that had really just happened, he assured me that it had and then laid back down to return to his tanning.

About 20 minutes later as we are walking back through Waikiki on our journey home from the beach we once again spot the man and his feathered friend. Lucky for us he was walking in the same direction as us, chatting up some tourists who were eager to know if the duck was trained and if it could do anything else. I'm thinking to myself "Does it need to do anything else? It's wearing a tiny lei and riding on a human like he's a pack horse." This duck has his own transportation and a stylin' look. What else does he need to do?

The man responds: "Well, I can put him on my head and dance around."

Now that is something I'd like to see. Good work, duck. Make that guy dance for you.

Ducks are so clever.

2 comments:

  1. haha! Love.

    Btw, I think I saw you, Ray, and Joe on the corner of McCully across the street from the shopping center. Heading to the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was us :)

    Also, UPDATE: I've seen this guy and his duck at least four times since this post. Next time I'll have to get a picture,=.

    ReplyDelete