Pages

September 28, 2011

Food post: San Francisco

For those of you that love to eat as much as I do, I want to share my adventures in eating my way through my MFA. I dedicate this post to my fellow Lunch Train riders. You know who you are.

Before reaching Hawaii we had a 12 hour layover in San Francisco. And San Francisco has some amazing food! It was a little chilly the day we were there, but that didn't stop Joe from conquering the beach:


I was just cold.




Luckily there was plenty of good food to be had a Fisherman's Wharf. We looked around for just the right place to eat lunch.


Flying Ninja Sushi, despite its awesome name, did not make the cut. We were looking for that perfect San Francisco food, that I had been craving since we landed in California:

Sour dough bread

Mmm. Yummy


If you want to know the story of the San Francisco sourdough bread, visit this link:http://www.boudinbakery.com/meetboudin/. It's a fun read and the bakery still has lines out the door to buy fresh bread.

The sour dough bread bowl with clam chowder. A classic. Mine also had corn and blue crab. Delicious.

Joe had another seaside favorite: fish and chips with vinegar.


And of course afterwards we visited the world-famous Ghirardelli Square to get some chocolate from the chocolate factory. When you walk in you are immediately greeted by a chocolate square in that day's chosen flavor, opened and handed to you by a smiling staff member. If you leave and go in another door, they give you another. You can get the most amazing looking sundaes and shakes, but I was still so full from my chowder that the chocolates squares were enough. It was fun to go through and see the machines making chocolate, though. You can read more about the Ghirardelli Company history here:http://ghirardelli.com/about/history.aspx

The sign just looked so good. I just wanted a taste.
That is all for our tasty romp through San Francisco. Stay tuned for more fun food postings!

No comments:

Post a Comment