Pages

September 21, 2011

Differences

I know you are dying to know how things really are. How is Hawaii different from Florida? From the mainland? From the world? Here, I share some observations of this strange and wonderful new world we are living in.

1. The weather is beautiful. We do not have central air, we do not close the windows EVER, we do not need to. Humid? Yes, a bit. Wall-of-water strangling you and making you feel heavy, tired and miserable like Florida humidity? NOT AT ALL!

2. The air does not always smell like flowers (sorry, SR!), but our yard does alwys smell like the Burger King down the hill.

3. Parking is terrible. Non-existent even. Except in driving lanes on the street. Then you will be driving along, in a turn lane and all of a sudden there are parked cars in front of you. And they are there legally. And you have to change lanes into the other moving traffic lane and then back into your right turning lane. Because apparently there was no where else to put that parking except IN THE STREET.

4. People do not dress like this all the time:

Sexy ladies: Abby, Bethany, me
Although a lot of people in Florida do.

5. Driving 40 mph suddenly feels like speeding. The fastest interstate I've driven on was 60 mph for only part of the road. Everything is in the 25-40 mph range. I think it's because you are always going up or downhill, so the car wants to speed up for you.

6. All of the views look like postcards, no touching up required. This is the view from the pillbox hike in Kaneohe, where we live. That's my brother and the BEAST. This is a cloudy day. You should see it when it's clear. WOW
Sophie and Shawn

7. Everything is served with a side of rice. Hawaii wants me to get fat.

8. You cannot buy fat free Coffeemate. Hawaii wants me to get REALLY fat.

9. Everyone is super friendly. Did I say super friendly? I meant mega-uber-friendly. People, WE HAVE MET OUR NEIGHBORS. And hung out with them. In Tampa, that just doesn't happen.

10. Drivers don't hate you (well, not all of them)They let you change lanes in traffic. They stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. They let you go in front if a lane merges. People smile at you in the streets. The spirit of aloha is not a myth. Come visit us and check it out for yourself :)

I do miss driving my car above 40 mph, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment