Pages

December 22, 2012

Green Christmas Wrapping

I decided that this year I'm doing all my gift wrapping using fabric. It started because I've been seeing beautiful furoshiki everywhere as I do my gift shopping. Furoshiki are Japanese cloths used for wrapping and carrying things. They are so versatile! For a great chart on a bunch of ways to use them, look here: How to use furoshiki.

Here is some of my gift wrapping this year:

Using a scarf that I have. It's about 18" x 18"

A Turkish scarf that I've had for many years but only now found a use for. Same size as the first scarf.


I also used scrap fabric that I had around. None if this was square, so the furoshiki ties didn't apply here. This was a little more trial and error than anything else, but I'm happy with how they turned out.


If you don't have scrap fabric laying around you can create some from old bedsheets, pillowcases, t-shirts or other clothing. Anything you don't use anymore is fair game. It doesn't need to be a perfect square. Study the furoshiki ties and then improvise. You can make almost anything look great by wrapping and tying very tightly and then tucking in any stray bits that you don't like the look of.

Happy wrapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment