Pages

October 13, 2011

$5/day Recipe: Chickpea salad


This is my favorite new recipe I discovered while eating on $5 a day. We are continuing the challenge but allowing ourselves on meal out each week as a treat so we don't go crazy while we adjust. But here is my version of the chickpea salad recipe:

Ingredients

  • ½ lb dry chickpeas, cooked according to package directions, then chilled –OR- 2 cans (15oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • A few ribs celery, chopped 

  • 3 oz cherry tomatoes, quartered
 
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, ground into a paste with salt
     

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and ground black pepper

 

Directions

Combine chick peas with tomatoes, celery, garlic paste, and ground cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. 

Dress salad with vinegar and oil, salt and pepper to taste


Total prep time: 10 minutes (not including cooking time for chickpeas, which is about 90 minutes start to finish—I like to cook the beans in advance and have them in the fridge for when I’m ready to use them for something. Using canned beans cuts down on prep time, but then you should also cut some salt because the canned beans are MUCH saltier. I suggest sticking with dry beans and cooking them.)
Servings: 8
Price per serving: $.57 (I did not calculate the salt or pepper which I already owned)

No comments:

Post a Comment